Monday, April 16, 2012

A to Z Challenge: No



On J-Day, I mentioned and explained the importance of prioritization when it comes to taking charge of our lives.

Today, I'm continuing along that vein to that situation where we are confronted with those incredibly difficult things called time wasters.

So when I mentioned priorities, I listed the following order:

Then I pick the most important things with deadlines (in order of immediacy)
Followed by less important things with deadlines 
Then important things without deadlines.
Everything else.

So now you notice that the less than important things with deadlines are second in the row. Weird, given that they're not important, right? 

Well... why is it that people just jump into doing these stupid activities? Easy, because others ask them too, and they say yes. 

So, if you find that your priorities are messed up because you have too many time-wasters on your schedule: repeat after me. 

No. 

I'm sorry but....

Maybe at another time? 

With those three phrases mastered, you'll be able to keep your schedules open for important things. I'm not saying that you should say no to everything, but if you've been saying yes too often, No might just be your solution.

Do you struggle with saying no? If you don't, do you have any tips for those that do? 

6 comments:

anthony stemke said...

I sometimes struggle with saying no. When my BW her eyes at me for a forbidden treat I can't refuse. I'm not really a pushover but almost.

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

I don't like to say no especially to family, then there's the people in the street, I guess I'm a pushover when push comes to shove.

Yvonne.

Nancy Thompson said...

I have no problem saying no, but I know many who do. Simply put, I have no time to waste on doing things I do not want or need to be doing. Though sometimes, I do have a hard time saying no to my son. I don't have much time left with him. He's leaving for college in only 4 months. *sniffle*

I'm a new follower via the A to Z. Nice to meet you, Misha! (Love your name, btw.)

Anonymous said...

Great post! I think I can say "No" to others, but there's always room for improvement. Most importantly, it's difficult to say no to myself, when I want to do those time wasters. It's what brought me here. :)

Botanist said...

*Sigh* If only it were that easy. Half my life at work is spent helping staff and colleagues through this kind of prioritization, where everything we do now falls into the first category (important with deadlines). We tried the "no" response to new work, only to be told "do it anyway" :)

Joanne said...

Geez this post is for me! I have an awful time saying no when asked for help. and yes I find myself completely and utterly overwhelmed. No, such a simple word so why is it so diffulcult for me to say? UGH!
Blessings, Joanne