Thursday, April 18, 2013

A to Z Challenge: Priorities

When we are busy taking charge of our lives, there is suddenly so much to do. There are all the things you need to do and learn to get to your goal.

And then there are still some "obligations" from before. Like taking care of family. Spending  time with your friends. (Any of those whose negative outlooks aren't trying to bring you down.) Spending time with God is another good example. Note the quotes above. Because none of these should really feel like something you have to do, but rather what you want to do.

On top of all that, there are the many tiny little "favors" that people want you to do. Errands for others... Projects at work that isn't really in your job description. Especially the "optional ones". You  know, the things that keep you from doing what you should be doing. They seem so small in the beginning, but invariably, they add up to a serious drain on your time.

If you keep doing these things for people, they'll keep heaping more on you. So. At some point, you need to sit down and see what's important to you and what you want to do. Because deep down, you definitely don't want to be everyone's door mat. Once you know what you're willing to do, you're welcome to continue them. The others, you say no to.

The people who've used you up to this point won't like it. After all, they'll have to do the things they never felt like themselves. Which is truly so sad for them. They'll probably put up some resistance, but stay strong.

The time you'll win to do things you love will make it all worth while.

Prayer


Lord, 

I feel like I'm drowning in little odd favors and demands that people put on me. I know that the only way out is to prioritize and cut back on things that aren't worthwhile. Please help me to see what I should stop doing and give me the strength to say "no". 

I pray this in Jesus's name. 

Amen. 

6 comments:

Mike Keyton said...

My prayer should probably be the opposite. My default position is 'No!"
: )

Megan said...

I need to learn to say no!

Betty Alark said...

Amen to all of that, Misha! No is necessary if you want to maintain balance within your self! Saying No becomes easy when you realize that you aren't really helping people by doing things for them that they can in all likelyhood do for themselves.

Killing your self doing for others while they sit back and watch isn't love.

Great post!

Stephen Tremp said...

This is a very powerful prayer! Nicely done. You just have to say no and tell them to tell God their needs.

Unknown said...

I always remember the "good", "better", "best" rule of thumb I learned in some Christian book one time. There are a lot of good things that demand my time, even a few better things, but only choose the best. My prayer is having the discernment to know the difference. As always, Misha, such a helpful post!

Rob-bear said...

My priorities have shifted very significantly since I have retired. I find it very easy to say, "No." I've become more reclusive (though that, I think, has more to do with my health, or lack thereof).

Great post, Misha.

Blessings and Bear hugs!
Bears Noting