Friday, June 3, 2011

Perspective.

So... yesterday was the Day of Ascension, so I had to go sing with the rest of the church choir as yesterday was the start of our Pentecostal services.

Now I might not have mentioned this before, but... well... the choir consists mainly of females. And some of those women are... uhm... a challenge to the "love thy neighbor" commandment.

Really.

They're so bad in fact, that one of the younger members actually left, because she overheard some of them gossiping about her AFTER PRACTICE.

I'm not happy. In fact, I rewrote this post because it was a bit... too angry for the topic.

I'm hurt for the sake of the girl that left because of their malice. More, I'm frustrated because this is coming from a CHURCH CHOIR, for heaven's sake.

Fact is that this choir suffers from a severe lack of perspective.

So severe in fact that they seem to think that they're rock-stars and divas because they *cough* in the public eye.

Our main purpose, our reason for function is to SERVE in the public eye. Not only that, but we SERVE GOD in the public eye. So who gives them the right to criticize someone for singing more loudly than them? Or for daring not to be insulted by the descant section who insists on forming a little exclusive club of three. In fact... why should cliques form in the first place?

That isn't serving God. That's serving themselves.

And it's complete and utter nonsense.

So what's there for me to do? Part of me wants to go on fulfilling my purpose in the choir. Another part is just waiting for them to come gunning for me. Because who is going to change how they act if no-one does something to start the change?

I know that wrong is a strong word. I hate using it, personally. But then, self-idolatry in the supposed service of God isn't exactly a small thing.

At the same time, I'm supposed to not judge them while I've been judged and apparently been found wanting. I'm supposed to go on loving them when they're disregarding everything they should stand for a Christians.

So where do the limits lie? Have you ever gotten into a situation like this? How did you deal with it?

6 comments:

D. U. Okonkwo said...

I LOVE this post, Misha, and as a fellow Christian I can COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND what you're saying about some people in the church. It's all about loving thy neighbour - it was the only command that Jesus gave. Fact is, some people in church are so eager to be SEEN doing the right thing that they neglect to love.

Serving others is just that - serving others. Taking the attention OFF ourselves. They all need to read 1 Corinthians 13 - the best definition of love ever written.

I've left churches due to lack of love - church of all places is where you should find it. I've often found that it starts from the leadership. When pastors preach love, and sow it into the foundation of a church, that's when you see it.

Try not to let it bother you too much, and show those people how it's done by being the best example of it.

Have a great weekend!
DUO

Suze said...

Misha, find one good friend among the choir, go out and have lunch and tell a joke or two, maybe plan to go bowling? Life is short, sweets.

Rosalind Adam said...

Sometimes belonging to a group of grown women can make you feel as if you're in the school playground again, can't it. I don't understand why people can't be kind, caring and considerate to each other. Wouldn't life be wonderful if everyone could manage that one small thing. Don't let it spoil your enjoyment of the choir. They're the ones with the problem... and I hope they read blogs. They might just recognise themselves and have to think twice.

Susan Kane said...

I grew up in a church like that, where there were people who would skin each other alive with just their tongues. I don't know a solution--those people never see themselves in the scripture that rebukes them. Keep singing for God. He will bless you for it.

SunnyToast said...

I love your post..it reminds me of my highschool days....as a part of the choir before..this situation really happened and I guess a good communication will help. as it said that a communication is a life blood of an organization and you are an organization serving to GOD.

Misha Gerrick said...

DUO love is truly important. So important in fact that I am always trying to learn it. :-)

Hehehe Suze I would, but the person close to my age was the one that left. Still, I am now trying to befriend the ladies and seeing if that will help.

Rosalind it's true. A group of women together can have a mean streak a mile wide. I'm hoping that some of the church services we had to sing at will make them think.

Susan, I decided to pray that the Holy Spirit works in them and in me too. We all have to learn a bit of tolerance. :-)

Sunny, that's true. But communication refuses to be a pain if people refuse to believe that they're doing anything wrong...