Monday, July 4, 2011

Why I now take weekends off

It's amazing how incredibly annoying an inconsistent Internet connection can be. I mean... I replied to the post before last's comments. Think it shows? Uhm... no.

Anyway, I decided to take weekends off. So no revisions (even when I really want to), no singing practice, no dancing practice. Nothing. Just chilling with a book or movie or vegetating in front of the T.V.

I'm lucky in a way. I really love everything that I do. So very little of what I do feels like work. But, I've been noticing that I'm starting to think of these things as things I have to do. I have to practice. I have to dance. I have to revise. I have to work. Etc.

And while that doesn't sound all that bad, it can become a problem when I start seeing the things I love as an obligation instead of a passion.

See, I made a commitment to living my dreams. But wouldn't it be terrible if I succeed and end up feeling like it's just another job?

So now I just vary my lifestyle with other things on weekends so that I can prevent my passions from feeling dreary.

It might sound odd, but it does work. I couldn't wait to revise this morning. Can't wait for dance lessons tonight. All because I took a forced rest.

Anyway, other than that, I don't have too much news... So I'm going to leave you with videos of the newest addition to my repertoire.

And yes... that is the Hoff.



Happy 4th of July to my U.S. Friends!

11 comments:

Theresa said...

Resting over a weekend? How could you! Where did you get such a crazy idea? ;)

Jessica Bell said...

I know exactly how you feel. I've had to force myself to take weekends off too. The computer is frying my brain even when I'm enjoying it!

Brenda Drake said...

I've always taken weekends off to be with my family. If I have a moment to myself, I'll write for a half or so, but only because I love it so much! Happy Fourth of July! :D

Claudia Moser said...

My advice take a break before it is too late. The body will take its toll, trust me! Been there! :(

Helen Ginger said...

Can Hoff sing? The stage set was gorgeous.

I used to blog every day, for several years. Then I cut back. I intended that cut-back to only last while I was on Federal Jury Duty, but I've stayed with only 3 days a week. Like you, I realized that I felt better not feeling like I had to post every day.

Stephanie Faris said...

I've found that writing longhand makes it feel like less work to me. When I'm being disciplined, I'll type, but on weekends and at night I'll have pen and paper, even while my husband is watching TV. Then it feels like writing for fun, like it used to!

mamtc said...

Loved how you coined the term vegetating. I do that very often. :)
I really envy all those beachgoers,sunbathers and weekend-funtastic people, all happy and cool and energetic.
Me and my bed are the magnest and ironlady, never lets me get off on Saturdays mornings :)

Anonymous said...

Like many I have to force myself to take time off. Enjoy yours!

Abhishek said...

I know!!

You must take your time off!!


Liked the words "I made a commitment to living my dreams." !! Awesome!!

with warm regards
Another Author

SunnyToast said...

Sometimes we need to take a break from this computer..so I really understand you.


I hope your having a great time:)

Joanne said...

Time off is so important, a way to rest and recharge those creative batteries. I always return with a positive energy after time away from my work.