Thursday, September 13, 2012

Chasms

Siiiigh... it looks like Wednesday postings are a bit of a problem for me. Yesterday was incredibly busy, but I kept thinking I'll at least do a post before my smallgroup meeting. Except I got a call that I have to go to band practice 90 minutes before that.

So now I'm trying to think how I can change the schedule to work for me. Scheduling ahead doesn't work, because I rarely have the time to sit still and churn out 8-9 good posts.

On the other hand, it could be a run of bad luck that has me missing my Wednesdays, so maybe I should keep trying for a few more weeks and then if they still don't work out, I'll put some serious thought into changing up my schedule.

In the mean time, I can quickly talk about something I've been thinking about in relation to my previous post.

Credit
Periods of transition are like chasms. You're on one side. Where you want to be is on the other. And in between there's a gap. A wide one.

Some people see those chasms and doubt make it to the other side. They look at the distance they could fall and fear. Then they either stay stuck where they are, wishing they were where they want to be. Or the walk away and pretend to be happy on their side of the chasm.

But here's the thing: God makes the impossible, possible. Jeremiah 32:17 (King James 2000 Bible) says: "Ah Lord God! Behold, you have made the heaven and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm, and there is nothing too hard for you."

If we're supposed to get to the other side, He'll give us what we need to do it. He probably won't pick us up and put us there, because if He did that, we'd never learn a thing and take our rewards for granted. But the fact is, He wouldn't hard-wire you to want to get to a specific place in your life and then leave you without options.

But here's the thing. We need to look for them. The options we have aren't always obvious. And once we find them, we might need to work on them. Sometimes there's a bridge hidden out of sight. Other times there are resources you'll need to build them.

And other times, and this is the hardest, we need to jump. The chasm might be too wide and God will help us over. Other times it turns out the distance wasn't as great as we imagined it.

It's actually all too possible, when we trust that God will give us the way.

Have you ever reached a chasm in your life standing between you and your dreams? Did you stay where you are, walk away or find your way across?  

9 comments:

The Mommy said...

Have you thought of eliminating your Wednesday posts in order to make things easier on yourself?

Unknown said...

This is Marjorie, and I was logged in to my mother's account, which was why I commented as "The Mommy." *Feels sheepish*

Mike Keyton said...

Nicely inspirational, Misha. I've found my way around or across most things. The problem is the mind. I suspect it is hardwired to remember the successes.

Catherine Noble said...

Lovely post, Misha, I like the chasm metaphor. You should take Wednesdays off and give yourself a little breathing space. We'll still be here to read you on the other days :)

Carrie Butler said...

What a great post, Misha! Thank you for sharing. :)

Misha Gerrick said...

Hahahahahaha :-D I am thinking about it, but not sure if I want to. Stickler to habit and all that.

Misha Gerrick said...

Yeah and to forget all the hardship it took to get there. :-P

Misha Gerrick said...

True, I'm really considering it. It's really hard to run two blogs if one posts 5 times a week and the other three.

Misha Gerrick said...

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. :-)