Monday, August 22, 2011

A necessary reminder.

I had such a wonderful day yesterday. I didn't go anywhere special, just to a restaurant franchise for coffee with a thirteen year old girl.

But wow. The few hours we spent together benefited us both.

Remember I told you that I volunteered to help with the church youth? Well, she's one of the new leaders.

A few weeks ago, I took the leaders to the same place as the above to get to know them, because everyone is still new to each other. There, I got a bit of a scary eye-opener.

This girl was giving her testimony about how she was helping a girl at her school after "God spoke to her for the first time in her life."

When she said those words, something went screeching in my head. I mean, to be strong Christians, strong enough to lead people in a Christian organization, there has to be more to their faith than just reading the Bible every day or doing good deeds. It's about a relationship.

And for there to be a relationship, listening has to go both ways. I explained this to them and the girl came to me this past Friday saying that she's dying to have a closer relationship with God and asked me to help her.

So we spent about two hours just talking about it and an hour where I explained to her what to do to hear God and left her to it. And it worked. This girl is so passionate about God, about doing His work in helping others and about finding ways to become closer to him.

It really opened my eyes to the fact that I sometimes take it for granted. I can barely remember a time where I didn't have God as an active part of my life and where I haven't been in a real relationship with him where the talking went both ways.

Sometimes I forget how amazing it is. It took me spending an afternoon with a girl ten years younger than me to remember.

What about you? Do you have a close relationship with God? What reminds you of its absolute wonder?

3 comments:

Theresa said...

It is great when we can help someone understand something about God a bit better. And the best part is that it is not us being awesome that allows it. We just allow god to touch people through us. That is wonderous. When we stand to the side, in a manner of speaking, and let God do the work.

Steph Schmidt said...

Being a witness to another's faith is always humbling for me. I'm not a loud, in your face person of faith. I like to help others with a resolute, dignified manor (the convert by example) that doesn't shove my faith down other's throats or lie to them with false sincerity. What scares me (and it shouldn't) is sometimes the moments He chooses to talk. Not always ready but I try my best to listen.

Nas said...

God does wonders and I beleive and in all miracles performed in God's name.

It's humbling to sometimes come across such miracles.