Wednesday, June 17, 2015

A to Z of Things I Learned in 2014: Reasons

Hi all. Just a heads up that my post will be dealing about my faith. So if you'd rather not read it, maybe you'd like to find out how my writing's going? 

If you are going to read on, I'm going to warn you that this subject is really tricky for me to write about, because I'm wrestling with my thoughts with it as I type. 


2014 and the first three months of 2015 were rough on me and my family. Without going into too much detail, I'm just going to say that those 15 months cost us a lot. And even today, we're having to deal with some of the results of things that happened in this time.

In April, I decided to start writing about the things I'd learned because I wanted something positive to come out of my time. So instead of focusing on all of the things that went wrong. 

Basically, what I'm doing is actively giving everything that's happened a reason. 

I know a lot of people say that "everything has a reason." In a sense, that's true and not quite true at the same time. 

Often, the simple reason behind something happening is really just that someone made a choice that has a terrible effect on other people's lives, unless the people who are affected in fact make a point to take something more from it somehow. 

Sorry. I'm finding this really hard to write today, because so much of today's post involves the way God works. And let's face it. We just don't know. I mean, I can reason that He wouldn't actively do things to hurt His children. But it could also be that sometimes He puts us through difficult times to make us better people. (I know a lot of people believe this.) 

I...think I fall somewhere in the middle of this. I think He does sometimes guide us into difficult places in life to teach us. Sometimes. There are some things that I just can't imagine Him doing, but then it could just be that my understanding is flawed. Most of the time, I just chalk it up as something I'll ask Him one day. 

The point is that regardless of the answer, that even if God wants us to learn from what happened, we won't unless we decide to learn. So if we want to believe that everything happens for a reason, it's up to us to make it true by finding that reason. 

Thoughts? 


2 comments:

Al Diaz said...

I believe in God and I do believe that everything happens for a reason. However, I don't believe that reason is "because God wanted things to happen." I believe in cause and consequence and that everyone in the world have God's granted gift of Free Will. A person is bad because he chooses so, not because God made him so. And if a certain person harms another, in any way, it's because he chose to do so in his own free will. The only one responsible for those harms is this person, not God. Now why do bad things happen to good people? That's a bit more tricky to answer, since I also believe that there are lessons one must learn out of those events. I'm not always good in finding out the subject matter of lessons. What's exactly they're trying to teach me? What did I do, or didn't do to cause this consequences I'm facing? Some riddles I can solve, some I can't. I try hard not to be bitter about them for ages to come. Not always successful, but I do my best to not make the suffering permanent. Maybe the lesson is to learn to let go. Dragon hugs!

Misha Gerrick said...

You have a beautiful way of thinking about all this. X